2017-2018 Optimist International Essay Contest
“Can Society Function Without Respect?”
2017-2018 District Essay Chair:
The Essay Contest is sponsored by Optimist International to give young people the opportunity to write about their own opinions regarding the world in which they live. The approach can encompass a young person’s personal experience, the experience of their country or a more historical perspective. In additional to developing skills for written expression, participants also have the opportunity to win a college scholarship!
This contest is open to students under the age of 18 as of October 1, 2017. There is no minimum age and no grade level requirement. Essays must be typewritten and double-spaced and contain not less than 700 and no more than 800 words. Works of fiction or poetry are not eligible.
Zone winners advance to the District contest to compete for a $2,500 college scholarship. The District level scholarships are funded by the Optimist International Foundation.
- CLUB: Send Club winner to Lt. Governor by January 31, 2018
- ZONE: Send Zone winner to Cathy Robinson by February 28, 2018
- District: Send District winner to OI by April 15, 2018
Items in Your Club Entry Packet:
- Optimist International Essay Contest Application for 2017-2018 – Must be signed by contestant and parent or guardian
- District Essay Contest Entry Form – Must be signed by contestant, Club Essay Chair and Club President.
- Legible Copy of Birth Certificate or Passport
- Typed Copy of Essay
- A Check for $35 Made Payable to Gateway District Optimist International
Optimist International Resources:
To download the Club Program pages, click here